Search This Blog

Thursday, March 25, 2010

crayola life lessons


 
A box of fresh crayons make me a kid again. I run my fingers over the tips and I listen to the crisp sound they make as I slide them out of the box. Mmmmm. The smell of crayons bring joy to my heart. Creativity wasn't the only thing I got out of crayons. It was a great lesson on thoughtfulness. of caring. of showing love. sharing thoughts.

(Thank you, mom, for the never-ending art supplies...and thank you to my teachers who encouraged/forced us to make cards and write letters...)

I can't remember now what I loved to draw. I imagine I jumped from one subject to another like I do now. Houses, flowers, trees, with a swing. picket fences. cars. dinosaurs. dogs. the sun, the moon, and clouds of different shapes. stick-figure birds.

I remember fighting with someone about what colors to use. It was my picture. No one tells me the sun's rays should be yellow. I like orange, thank you. and I can make my clouds blue. and pink. and purple. No one tells me where I place my house, how big the windows should be or how i can make two slanting lines to show it's glass. That's just how it is. that's how it should be. End of story.

And no, I don't think I'm stubborn. I'm just ME.

I don't even know why I started to talk about crayons...

The crayon that i almost never used was Periwinkle.
Not that I don't like it. It was my favorite and i used it sparingly.
(I kept my periwinkle crayon in a separate pencil case.)
psycho, i know. but hey, it's my box o crayons.
Next in line was Salmon.
It fascinated me, and I didn't even know it was a fish.
I loved Torquoise Blue and I drove it to the ground.
I meant... paper.
Magenta and Plum were on my VIP list too.
I throw in Red Violet sometimes
when I forget how uninteresting it's name was.
(yes, i discriminated against crayons)
Canary Yellow wasn't allowed anywhere near.

2 comments:

Dita said...

A fresh box of crayons always brings back memories for me too. I remember the box with the sharpener and my little brother would always over sharpen and break the point in there prompting me to beg for a new box that I'd keep FAR away from him!

rissa c said...

i had that box with the sharpener too! i remember imagining my crayons are people sitting on bleachers -- because of the way they designed the inside to the box...i hid mine from everyone else :)